After 35 Years Missing Aransas Pass Girl Declared Deceased

After 35 Years Missing Aransas tribute candles glow in darkness, symbolizing remembrance and hope for answers in a decades-old case.

A Long-Awaited Legal Declaration

After 35 years missing Aransas teen Blanca Elisa Roberson, an Idaho district court has legally declared her deceased. Roberson vanished from Aransas Pass in 1989, and the ruling issued on August 4 marked the end of decades of painful uncertainty for her family.

Court records revealed that her family petitioned the 7th Judicial District in Idaho, citing her continuous 35-year absence without any confirmed sighting or contact. “Blanca Elisa Roberson has been absent for a continuous period of over thirty-five (35) years, during which time she has not been seen or heard from, despite diligent search and inquiry by her family and law enforcement authorities,” the filing stated.

The court concluded, under Idaho law, that clear and convincing evidence supported the presumption of death. For her loved ones, the decision formalizes a painful truth they have lived with since the day she disappeared.

The Day Elisa Disappeared

Roberson was just 13 years old when she disappeared while walking from her family’s home at 431 S. Whitney Street to Kieberger Elementary School, four blocks away. That walk, in March 1989, was the last time anyone saw her. Despite decades of investigation, no definitive answers have emerged.

Local police, state authorities, and nonprofit recovery teams have been actively searching for years. Yet, each lead has ended without resolution, leaving the family to endure decades of uncertainty.

A Step Toward Closure

After 35 years missing Aransas teen Blanca Elisa Roberson, attorney Jedediah Bigelow of the Hopkins Roden Law Firm in Idaho Falls explained that the declaration gives families something tangible to hold on to. “She was so young when she went missing that there are no probate matters,” Bigelow said. “It’s not necessarily evidence of anything — hopefully it helps open the door to get more information.”

Bigelow added that the Roberson family had been seeking a death certificate for more than a year. Living in Idaho, they filed the petition there while also reaching out to Texas attorneys and police for guidance. He noted, “It’s a step toward closure, but it also highlights how much we still don’t know. After 35 years missing Aransas, questions remain unanswered and the search for truth continues.”

Frustrations With Local Investigations

The Roberson family, including her sister, Ruby Hall, and mother, Marina Tomchak, continues to push for transparency. They argue that the Aransas Pass Police Department has not shared enough information about the case. “They started down this path where the police department wouldn’t provide them any information in the investigation — they can’t get any answers,” Bigelow noted.

That frustration prompted the family to seek help from outside agencies. In December 2024, the Aransas Pass Police Department formally turned the case over to the Texas Attorney General’s Office.

The Role of State Authorities

The attorney general’s office now leads the investigation, with assistance from the Texas Rangers and other state agencies. This shift came after repeated requests from the Roberson family for fresh eyes on the case.

The Texas Attorney General’s Office established a Cold Case and Missing Persons Unit in 2021 to help local departments with unsolved investigations. The Texas Rangers also oversee the state’s Unsolved Crime Investigation Program, which often steps in for complex cases like Roberson’s.

Former Aransas Pass Police Chief Eric Blanchard, who transferred to lead the Sinton Police Department, said the case has seen periodic progress. In 2016, investigators even conducted a forensic search of the family’s old house with help from a nonprofit organization. While that search produced new evidence, officials have not disclosed what it was.

A Family Still Searching for Answers

Rumors have swirled for years about possible family involvement in Roberson’s disappearance — rumors her relatives firmly deny. Authorities have never named any suspects, and they have not made any arrests.

Joseph Ramirez, a spokesperson for the Roberson family, said they are preparing a statement about the declaration and its impact. He emphasized that the family remains committed to finding out what happened.

For the Robersons, the declaration of death is not the end of the story. Instead, it is a solemn reminder of how much remains unresolved. They hope that with renewed state-level attention, new evidence may finally surface.

Looking Ahead

The official declaration of Blanca Elisa Roberson’s death closes one legal chapter, but it leaves the central mystery unsolved. Where did Elisa go that spring day in 1989? What happened in the hours after she left home?

As investigators with the Texas Attorney General’s Office and Texas Rangers review the decades-old case file, the Roberson family continues to hope for answers. Thirty-five years later, their determination has not faded.

No menu locations found.